Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Luck of the Irish

Hi there my friends...

This is the month to celebrate GREEN, Lucky day and the Irish in each one of us ... and I thought I start with wishing a little luck to each one of you...

And what best to bring good luck than a cute, easy and quick pattern for you to make your own charming SHAMROCK?


I looked everywhere and I found many different shamrocks, but I couldn't find just the right one for what I was looking for...
Just the right size and the way I envisioned...

I wanted to make some book markers for my friends and little pins to wear on St. Patrick's Day ... and if you know me when I cannot find exactly what I wish...
I just make it ... 

when I finished making them I loved it so much I thought I would share it with you ...

I feel so LUCKY to have you here with me and hope you enjoy this tutorial.

LUCKY SHAMROCK TUTORIAL

Here is a pattern to make a shamrock pin which can also be used as a book mark with an extended chain added to it.
They make great gifts and you will be protected from being pinched if you have it pined on your clothes on St. Patrick's day :) :) :)





Materials:
Cotton yarn in Dark green and a contrasting/lighter 
 green of the same or a little thiner cotton yarn.
Crochet thread on a contrasting/lighter color of green (optional)

Hooks: 
4.00 mm (US G-6) 
5.00 MM (US H-8)

Abbreviations:
(please note that I'm using American Terms to write this pattern)

ch   chain
rep   repeat
sc   single crochet 
sl st   slip stitch 
hdc   half double crochet
tr   treble crochet
mc   main color
cc   contrasting color


With size 5.00 (US H) and 2 strands of cotton mc  start by doing 5 ch and close to make a circle




Then make *4 ch, 3 tr and 4 ch and sl st into the circle *





 Repeat from * to * 2 more times ...
  


Now get ready to make the stem...
Ch 5, 1 hdc in the 2nd ch from the needle, sc in the next 3 ch, sl st in the last ch






 Leave a 12" tail to sew the pin in the back



Now get ready to make the 2nd row 

With thiner yarn (if you chose to use the crochet thread) or only 1 strand of  cc and smaller (4.00 mm/ US G) hook
sl st 


ch1, 1 sc in each of the 3 ch, 2 sc in each tr, 1 sc in each of the next 4 ch, sl st in the previous row sl st


2 sc in each tr



 1 sc in each of the next 4 ch

 sl st in the previous row sl st


 repeat from * to * 2 more times 

Cut the yarn and tie the 2 ends together in the back side of your work.


Hand sew (or hot glue) with the 12 '' left over yarn, the pin in the back side of the shamrock and ... 

Voila...
You are done...



Isn't this The Luck of the Irish ???


As always I'M SO HAPPY you came to visit me and I hope you have a wonderful, marvelous, LUCKY month.





All photos shown here belong to taciStudio.blogspot.com. I will be happy to share with you as long as you email me to request and  you link back to taciStudio.blogspot.com.
 I appreciate your kindness. 

18 comments:

  1. Those are so cute. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute ! Thanks for the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome timely shamrock. Should bring lots of luck!

    Nice tutorial. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely! Thanks for sharing such a nice pattern and tutorial with us. I just wish I had some Irish roots or connections now so that I had an excuse to make one!

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shamrocks Taci. I think I like them better than the ones I made. Oh well. Maybe for next year I'll use your tutorial.

    I'm looking forward to lunch on Friday. Maybe I'll get there early enough to peek at the yarn shop close by.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muito lindos!! A explicação ficou ótima também, querida! Parabéns! Bjs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute. I crocheted some clover last year but didn't do anything with it. I think I may need to make some more using your pattern. Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Taci, I thought you posted this a few days ago and that I left a comment then.. did you re-run it? I love those shamrocks! I look forward to seeing all you blog friends on Friday! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    These are very cute!

    Re: Your comment on my Knitty Gritty post, thank you that's really helpful. What is the invisable stitch you use for sewing up knitted bags?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Tutorial. I like the color combination. I have a similar post on my blog from a year ago or so but these are much nicer because of the size. Thank you for sharing the pattern with us. I am off to buy more green yarn!
    Gabli.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea and fab pictures - I think I'll be hooking one or two of these! Thanks
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking shamrocks!!! Love them!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Taci, these look great, I love the idea and I bet they bring you a lot of luck. Well done.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so darling...I am loving green these days...maybe because I am craving SPRING! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on your little tutorial...it's very nicely written!
    Oh, and did I mention they are soooo cute! Great job!
    Thanks so much for following me on my new blog. I lost so many when I made the big move. Looking forward to many more things you have in store for us, Love your creativity!
    Hugs, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  16. Taci, thanks for the great tutorial and for giving me a shamrock pin! I love that you extended the shamrock to make it into a bookmark...very clever, and I also really like the outline stitch.

    Looking forward to seeing you on Friday :-)

    xx,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute; thanks for sharing. Found you at Sara's! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear all of your comments and I feel special that you took the time to visit me here today :)