Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Blanket Honoring the Foster Parents of Oregon

Hi There Dear Friends...:)

As I mentioned before I work full time now and have started full time about 2 years ago. I'm a social worker for the State of Oregon and work with foster children and foster parents.
Every year in May we put together a great event to Honor all the foster parents and the GREAT work they do with for the children they care for.
Because we work for the state we cannot get any funds for it and we have to raise the money ourselves. 
Every year we raise many gifts and do lots of auctions, bake sales, etc in order to make this event, a nice catered dinner, possible.

This year I'm heading a new fund raiser which I hope it will be very successful and that we are going to raise lots of money for the dinner.
I just thought I would share with you what we are doing and how this fun idea became alive...

A couple of months ago I was able to get yarn donated by a very generous Knitting store owner:
Jan Andersen from www.andersenfiberwork.com
 who also own www.hanksinthehood.com (her yarn is all hand died and it is just yummy and beautiful... go check her out ...even if you don't live in Oregon you can still order). She is also featured at www.knitpicks.com

She donated the yarn and I contacted about 20 women..my friends that knit and together we made 25 squares... and then this 
beautiful blanket was born...

It started as just an idea... 
It then... it grew into some beautiful squares...



More squares...


And more squares...


Plan... plan.. and more plan...






And it's starting to look a lot like a blanket now...


This weekend I'm working on blocking the very last square and I have 2 very talented friends helping me to sew the squares together. Next week I hope to finish the border and we're going to ruffle the blanket...
Hope we can do well and have not to worry about the financial side of our dinner for our wonderful foster parents.

I have been wanting to tell you all about this project for so long, but I didn't have much to show. 

I know the project its not finished yet and I hope next week to show you all the finish blanket...

It has been a great journey and I'm excited that it is almost completed and I owe it all to the great work of these 18 women who have all taken the time to make some of the squares and make this project possible.
There is such a great, positive energy in this blanket I think whoever gets it will be a very lucky person...

As soon as it is all done I will put better pictures so you can see how it really looks like...:)

I hope you are having a great weekend and as always I'm so happy you were here to visit me and I would LOVE to hear from you.

Have a great rest of your weekend. Tchau!!!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Robyn!
      I'm still working on it but I also think it is turning out nice!
      Thanks so much for stoping by :)

      Delete
  2. Just beautiful..I love all the deep colors!! It would look good in my living room! Thanks for entering in my giveaway..goodluck!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear all of your comments and I feel special that you took the time to visit me here today :)